Dear Camp Families,
Welcome to #CAMPERNST AT HOME!
At YMCA Camp Ernst, we have been partners with parents in youth development since 1928. Camp is a critical space for kids to learn independence, self-reliance, friend-making, confidence, and so much more.
We have created this page as a resource for you.
Please reach out if there’s anything we can do to support your family in this time. The camp office is not open but I will check voicemails (859-586-6181) or you can call/text my cell: 859-912-3457. The office email is email@example.com
I look forward to interacting with you virtually—until we can be together around the campfire again!
VIRTUAL CAMP HANGOUT
Join us online for some camp fun and connection!
- First Tuesday of Every Month at 7:00pm: Camp History With Bryan McIntyre (Assistant Camp Director and Camp Historian)
Join by using this link https://zoom.us/j/609205423
(Make sure you have parent/guardian permission before joining! There is no need to create an account. If you are using an I-phone, you will need to download the free app to access the call).
CAMP FUN WITH CAMP COUNSELORS
Camp misses you and so do our amazing camp counselors. Below are some video updates, activities, and fun from our camp team.
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies with Peyton
- Ali Reads I am Not Sleepy and I will Not Go To Bed
- Ali Reads The Big Honey Hunt
- String Tricks with Cole– Looking to learn some new cool string tricks at home? Let the camp master of string tricks, Cole, help you!
- Serenity Reads from A Light in the Attic
- Serenity reads The Very Hungry Bear
OUR FAVORITES FROM CAMP ERNST TV
Here are some of our favorites from our youtube channel youtube.com/campernsttv. Check out all of our videos from over the years and let us know your favorite.
- Dodgeball 300 Check out this classic all the way back from 2007
- Whistle Tips Another 2007 creation. A few years later we did a remake. Remember Maya? See if you can find her in both
- Camp Ethnography A study of camp people and why they do the things they do. See if you recognize anyone from this 2007 video.
- Things that Could Never Happen at Camp Ernst Watch this funny made up scary story from the Orange Unit in 2010
- Squirrel Tactics Will these campers be able to find the master of squirrel tactics? Watch to find out!
- Institute of the Fine Arts Do these campers have what it takes to be a student at the Camp Ernst Institute of the Fine Arts?
- Cole and Sam Beaver Hunt: Back in 2010, Cole and Sam went on a beaver hunt here at camp. Things they will have any luck?
- I’ll test my log with every branch of knowledge: Did you know log starred in a fine arts movie back in 2013?
- Untold Stories of Camp Counselors: See if you recognize any of these counselor impressions from 2013
- SIX STEPS TO GREATNESS:Admittedly I am a sucker for the CampErnstTV originals like this one from 2007. Gotta love the cute Lakeview kids!
- A classic Christmas in July poem “How the Grinch Stole the Dodgeballs” video from 2011 features two counselors who are now YMCA of Greater Cincinnati professional staff members!
- Banana Phone A throwback from 2009 when you couldn’t get this song out of your head, no matter how hard you tried!
- Vertical World Recognize some past unit leaders in this 2007 video where?
- Cow Inspired by Cow I couldn’t resist another Cow the Cat video! Cow sure did get to travel all over camp that week!
- Johan the fairy godcounselor: In 2007, we had an iconic international named Johan from the Netherlands and in this video, he makes campers’ wishes come true. I LOVE the wistful soundtrack and the cameo of puppies and kittens and bunnies in the old petting zoo!
- Cole Looks for an Assistant: This is a classic with a cameo by Cow the Cat. You don’t want to miss the applicant who lists among her talents, “Making dog and horse noises.” Who should Cole have chosen to help him run the E-team program in 2012?
- Cat Party: This one had to make my list since my daughter Kara is in it! Lakeview counselors have been obsessed with this song for years. And of course, Cow the Cat stars!
Looking for some activities to keep you busy. Here are some fun camp printables.
- Color Mangey the Moose, Larry the Llama, or Earnest the Eagle and send us a picture or tag us on social media @campernst
- Tip Week Of 5.4
- Family Fun Activity for the Week of 4/20/20
- Check out these nature activities from the Great Parks of Hamilton County
- Missing baseball and the Reds? Check out these fun activities provided by the Cincinnati Reds
- Camp Trivia
- Camp Bingo
- Rockin E Ranch Coloring Page
- Camp Mad Libs
- Activities from the week of March 16th
- Camp Places Word Search
- Camp Activities Word Search
- Emoji Puzzles
- Scavenger Hunt
- Dutch Auction- Family Game Night
OTHER RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES
There are lots of resources available online right now. Here are a few that we like.
- Go on a virtual field trip to visit the largest trees on earth!
- Learn how to become a citizen scientist
- Check out these cool underwater experiences online
- A fun Dandelion activity to try while you are at home
- Looking for a new podcast. Listen to LeVar Burton read from some of the best short fiction books.
- Did you know Earth Day is this week? Check out some of these resources from NASA on how to celebrate at home.
- Children’s Hospital has curated a page with lots of info from answers to medical questions to activities for children and mental health resources
- Take a virtual tour of Yosemite through the National Parks page
- Try this online madlib from our friends at the Boone County Conservation District!
- Museum Asks People To Recreate Paintings With Stuff They Can Find at Home, Here Are The Results
- Library of Congress has fun interactive stuff with the author of Captain Underpants books, which were beloved by my boys! -eli
- Take a tour of the National Parks
- Kid’s Discover
- Cooking Activities for Kids
- Kid’s Activity Podcast
- Rebel Girls at Home
- Some nature-y things that can be done indoors!
- All aquatic life is so mysterious and fascinating—learn more with Shedd Aquarium!
- Mo Willems, one of Eli’s favorite children’s book authors hosts live doodles!
- What is the best job ever (besides working at camp!)??
- Some independent or group activities outdoors!