THE SCOTT C. DIETER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
Rewarding Excellence in Leadership
Excellence is not innate; it is developed through the cultivation of the mind, soul and body. Excellence grows as a child is loved, encouraged, pushed to explore and exposed to the diversity of humanity. Excellence is not a destination, it is a journey.
For five summers my son Scott attended Camp Ernst and began his journey of excellence nurtured by counselors who really had a passion for their job. The young men and women of Camp Ernst truly embraced the children and displayed the YMCA Character Qualities of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith. He always returned home a bit more confident, a bit more open to trying new things and really dirty – the sure signs of a good time!
Left to Right: Tyler Flinn and Scott Dieter, June 2011
In memory of Scott and in honor of those counselors who impacted his life a college scholarship for Camp Ernst counselors has been established. The purpose of this scholarship is to continue the legacy of leadership excellence by awarding two counselors in good standing funding that will supplement their summer salary and help defray the cost of higher education.
I am so very grateful that Scott had the opportunity to experience the long tradition of excellence at Camp Ernst. Thank you for living your passion and leading our children.
~ Beth L. Dieter and all the members of Scott’s family
- Has a history of progressive leadership responsibilities at Camp Ernst (at least one year as camp counselor)
- Pursuing a college degree at an accredited college (two or four year)
- Exhibits YMCA character values
- Demonstrates financial need
- Two awards will be made annually – one male and one female counselor
- $1,500 each
- Scholarships are renewable – applicant must submit full application for eligibility
- Funding will be used to supplement summer camp counselor salary and will be directed toward college expenses (books, tuition, and food, living expenses)
- Complete an application online. The 2017 season is closed. College students may apply again beginning Oct, 2017 for summer, 2018.
- Provide one-page essay to explain need
- Provide transcript (if a freshman – provide high school transcript)
Please click here to donate to the Scott C. Dieter Memorial Scholarship for YMCA Camp Ernst Counselors.